Ontario Student Loan Rehabilitation Program
Borrowers who’ve defaulted on their Ontario student loans can bring them back into good standing through the Ontario Student Loan Rehabilitation Program.
You’ll be provided a 6-month rehabilitation plan. The plan includes a schedule of 6 rehabilitation loan payments. Any outstanding interest will be included in these payments.
Who is eligible
To be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- You have defaulted on your Ontario Student Loan and/or the Ontario portion of your Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loans
- Have at least $600 of Ontario student loan principal outstanding, and
- Have less than 2 prior attempts to rehabilitate your Ontario student loan
How to apply
Contact the private collection agency that has your loan. Tell them you want to apply for the Ontario Student Loan Rehabilitation Program. If you don’t know which agency has your loan, contact the Account Management and Collections Branch of the Ministry of Finance.
The collection agency will determine if you’re eligible to apply.
If yes, they’ll send you an application package that includes your:
- 6-month schedule with the amount and due dates for 6 monthly rehabilitation payments
- rehabilitation period end date
- a deadline to return the application package
Your rehabilitation payments are calculated on:
- the principal outstanding on your defaulted Ontario student loan
- the amount of interest outstanding from your missed payments
If you choose to proceed, you sign and return your application. This starts the rehabilitation process and is counted as a rehabilitation attempt.
The rehabilitation process
- follow the payment schedule provided or
- pay the entire amount early and then wait for the 6-month period to be over.
Your rehabilitation attempt will be considered unsuccessful if you:
- get behind on the rehabilitation payments for two months in a row
- don’t complete your required payments by the rehabilitation end date
If you successfully complete the process, your rehabilitated Ontario student loans will be transferred to the NSLSC. They’ll let you know the new amount of your monthly payment.
If your outstanding Canada and Ontario student loans are in good standing, you can apply for further aid from OSAP, including reduced loan payments through the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP).
Checking your application status
Contact the private collection agency that has your loan or the Account Management and Collections Branch of the Ministry of Finance.
777 Guelph Line, Suite 204
EOS Canada Inc.
325 Milner Avenue, Suite 1111
Financial Debt Recovery Limited
40 West Wilmot Street
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Total Credit Recovery
225 Yorkland Boulevard
North York, Ontario
Account Management and Collections Branch
Ministry of Finance