Ontario First Generation Bursary
The Ontario First Generation Bursary provides aid to postsecondary students with financial need who are attending publicly-assisted colleges and universities in Ontario. This bursary is specifically for students whose parents have never attended postsecondary studies.
Amount of Aid
The amount of bursary available varies and can range from $1,000 to $3,500. The actual amount awarded is determined by your school. Contact your school’s financial aid office for further information.
Who Can Get This Aid
You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to be considered for this bursary:
- You’re attending a publicly-assisted college or university in Ontario
- Your parent(s) have never participated in postsecondary studies on either a full or part-time basis anywhere in the world.
- You’re enrolled in a first-entry undergraduate program. Second entry programs like law or medicine, as well as graduate programs, are not eligible.
- You don’t already have a postsecondary degree, diploma or certificate.
- You’re not receiving assistance through the Second Career program for your studies.
- You meet the citizenship and Ontario residency requirements as outlined on the OSAP Application for Full-Time Students.
- You’ve demonstrated financial need based on the criteria as set out by your school.
- Applying for either OSAP for Full-Time Students or OSAP for Part-Time Students is not a requirement of this bursary.
- Your school may have additional eligibility requirements in addition to those listed above. For example, some schools require that you be in full-time studies. Contact your school’s financial aid office for complete details.
How to Apply
Use your school’s Ontario First Generation Bursary application to apply for this bursary.
Documents You Need to Provide
Your school’s Ontario First Generation Bursary application will have details on any documents required as part of the application process.
Application, document and review details for this bursary vary by school. Check with your school’s financial aid office for deadline information.
How You Get Your Aid
Your school will determine how this bursary is issued (e.g. by cheque, reducing outstanding fees, etc.). Contact your school for details on how they issue their Ontario First Generation Bursaries.
How to Check the Status of Your Application
Contact your school’s financial aid office with any questions that you have on the status of your Ontario First Generation Bursary application.